Why hobbies are so important
What are your hobbies?
I believe that everyone should have 1-2 hobbies that they participate in on a regular basis.
What is a hobby?
A hobby is an activity that you freely participate in solely based on the fact that you enjoy it.
Why are hobbies so important?
- Hobbies keep us engaged, occupied, and make us come alive.
- Hobbies are an effective tool/strategy in preventing eating out of boredom.
- Hobbies give you a way to take your mind off the stresses of everyday life.
- Having a hobby can help your social life and create a bond with others.
What do you if you already have hobbies…
- If you already have hobbies – great! Your homework is simply to make sure that you schedule time each and every week for yourself. We schedule dentist appointments and carve out time to cook and clean; so why not schedule fun time as well? A hobby is not an obligation. It’s something you do because you want to.
- Make sure you are consistently improving with whatever your chosen hobbies are. Watch videos, take online courses, and most important of all -have fun!
What do you if you don’t have hobbies…
- If you don’t have any hobbies, ask yourself: What did you love to do when you were younger, before life got hectic? What makes you feel relaxed and most like yourself?
- Say “yes” to opportunities to try new things. Next time someone invites you to do something that is maybe a little out of your comfort zone, say YES and go into that experience with an open heart and an open mind. Who knows what new hobbies are in store for you.
By: Justin A. Seedman BS, CPT, CHC, BCS
Ready to take control of your health and fitness?
Partner with us to get expert coaching, support and accountability.